Future Russia Fellowship
The Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA) is now accepting applications for the 2021-2022 Future Russia Fellowship Program. The program is a year-long fellowship open to Russian citizens who are mid-career academics or immediate post-PhD graduates in a social science or a related field.
The main goal of the Future Russia Fellowship program is to bring new perspectives into U.S. academic and policy debates and enable meaningful and systematic exchanges between emerging thinkers and future leaders from Russia and their U.S. counterparts. In addition to building closer links between the U.S. and Russian research communities, this program will help to cultivate and empower the next generation of Russian leaders rooted in transatlantic values and principles.
The Future Russia Fellowship program offers structured opportunities to increase Fellows’ subject matter expertise and build new skills through participation in analytical discussions, professional development workshops, and mentorship from CEPA staff and senior fellows. The Future Russia Fellow will also have extensive opportunities to build ties between U.S. and Russian research communities and to develop ties with American thought leaders through CEPA’s vast network of contacts and partner institutions. The Fellow will be required to write an analytical paper for publication and author short-form articles to inform the general public and research and policy community.
The Fellow must be able to commit the majority of his or her time to this position in order to meet program requirements. The Fellowship will consist of a hybrid model: six months in-residence in Washington, DC, followed by six months of virtual programming. It is expected to run from early October 2021 through late September 2022, pending public health environment and ability to travel to the United States.
The Future Russia Fellow will:
- Publish short articles on issues of interest for CEPA’s flagship publication, Europe’s Edge.
- Engage in roundtable discussions and strategy sessions.
- Receive one-on-one mentorship from an expert in their research field.
- Engage with CEPA experts as part of the professional development training.
- Enjoy access to CEPA’s network of fellows and experts.
- Following their return to Russia, continue to engage with CEPA’s activities, such as participation in virtual meetings with D.C. expert and policy community.
- Before the end of the twelve-month Fellowship, produce an analytical report based on research and analysis conducted throughout the fellowship tenure to inform U.S. and European policy makers on their research findings.
The Future Russia Fellowship offers a monthly stipend for the entire twelve-month period. The stipend will support Fellow’s research, analytical production, and living expenses during their time in Washington D.C. In addition to the stipend, CEPA will cover all costs associated with the visa process and provide in-residence office space at CEPA’s headquarters in Washington, D.C.
The Future Russia Fellow will be selected through a competitive process. Applicants must possess the following minimum qualifications in order to be considered:
- Be a citizen of the Russian Federation.
- Presently be a mid-career academic or immediate post-PhD graduate in a social science or related field such as international relations, public policy, and history.
- Demonstrated expertise in area of research.
- Exceptional research, writing, and communication skills in English.
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Proficiency with technology tools and applications including MS Office, Zoom, WebEx, etc., as well as a willingness to learn new systems.
- Eligibility to acquire a U.S. Visa.
How to Apply
To be considered for the fellowship program, applicants must submit the following documents in English:
- Completed Application Form;
- 500-word concept on a proposed research topic;
- Brief (2-4 page) academic writing sample; and
- Two academic or professional letters of recommendation. Referees must send signed letters directly to Ms. Bruna Celic at email@example.com by June 20.
Please send all application materials and inquiries to Bruna Celic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline is 11:59 PM (EST), June 20